15 March 2011

{ thank you }

I have only ever met Sheye once....one very brief moment but one I will always remember.

Two years ago, I was at a Mathilda Market in Brisbane launching Habitat Baby. I was selling Belle and Boo prints and I can remember this lady (Sheye) and her friend hanging around my stand. They'd walk away, come back, walk away come back. This went on for a while. At the time I wondered what was happening, does she like the print, does she not? In the end I asked if I could help her. She answered "Ava, that's my daughter".


Not long before the market I had read the story behind the Ava Series and my heart broke for Ava's family. I never in a million years thought I'd ever come face to face with Ava's mum. What do you say to a mother who has lost her daughter in such tragic circumstances? I said nothing, I just cried.

Why am I telling you this? I read Sheye's blog. Sometimes I honestly have no idea why I do - and today was one of those days. Each and everytime I read about Ava I start to cry all over again. I feel overwhelmed with grief and sadness for her loss, the unbelievable pain she must be feeling, the guilt : yes the guilt for having three babies that are still with me, the guilt for raising my voice to them over the silly things, the things that really don't matter, the guilt for still being able to grab them and hug and kiss them until they just about burst.

Sheye, thank you for sharing your story with us all. You are a truly remarkable woman. Your openness about your raw pain truly helps others.

No comments:

Post a Comment